At least nine Indian-origin people have gone missing since the deadly terror attacks in two mosques in New Zealand city of Christchurch city on Friday, the Indian envoy to New Zealand said in a tweet.
Citing “updates from multiple sources”, High Commissioner Sanjiv Kohli said, “As per updates received from multiple sources, there are nine missing persons of Indian nationality/origin. Official confirmation still awaited. Huge crime against humanity. Our prayers with their families.
As many as 49 people were killed and several others were injured after a gunman opened fire at two mosques in the city this morning. Three men and one woman have been detained so far in connection with the terrorist attack.
AIMIM president Asaduddin Owaisi, meanwhile, claimed that two persons from Hyderabad were critically injured and sought the ministry’s intervention in the case. Identifying one of the victims as Mohammed Khurshid Jahangir, Owaisi urged MEA chief Sushma Swaraj and Telangana Chief Minister K Chandrashekhar Rao to help the concerned family travel to New Zealand.
“A video from Christchurch shows one Ahmed Jehangir who was shot. His brother Iqbal Jehangir is a resident of Hyderabad & would like to go to NZ for Ahmed’s family. I request @KTRTRS @TelanganaCMO @MEAIndia @SushmaSwaraj to make necessary arrangements for the Khursheed family,” he posted on Twitter.
The AIMIM chief also shared the passport details of the alleged victim. “His brother is serious and his family has little support. I am only requesting the immediate support of your good offices in expediting his visa process. He’ll make all arrangements to travel to New Zealand by himself.”